Write...or Die Trying

I used to work in a factory. Now I work in an office. Either way, my writing was dying. So now I must: Write...or Die Trying.

Google  

RNC Observations

I was blown away by the sheer power of Zell Miller's speech last night, on day 3 of the RNC.

Democratic political firefighters are out in force today, trying to put a mean and nasty face on Zell Miller. I'm not all that old, so I can't say that I've experienced a lot of political speeches, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday. I would have to rate that speech as the best political speech I've heard in my life. Far from mean and nasty, it was powerful and passionate--two traits I'm saddened to see the modern Democratic party deathly afraid of. I wouldn't have guessed I would be so moved by a Democrat.

Don't forget that Zell Miller offered to do this kind of thing for President Bush. The RNC didn't go out hunting for a sympathetic Democratic and parade him across the stage as a show pony. Senator Miller wanted this. He's also not a "closet Republican." By his own admission, Zell Miller is a die-hard Democrat till the day he dies.

I'd like to analyze this speech from a writer's perspective. Even if you don't agree with his politics, Zell Miller's speech was a fantastic oratory that encapsulated ideas, conveyed power and passion, and made a solid connection to the audience. I'd like to see if I can uncover a glimmer of that in the speech's words or structure. I'll keep you posted.

1 Comments:

At 9/02/2004 10:19:00 AM, Blogger r said...

Oh. My. Goodness! I was simply enthralled by the power of that sermon, er, speech. It was terrifically inspiring, admonishing, encouraging, edifying, etc. etc. etc.

I loved his line about "knocking on the door of this man's soul and finding someone at home." Whew!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home