Write...or Die Trying

I used to work in a factory. Now I work in an office. Either way, my writing was dying. So now I must: Write...or Die Trying.

Google  

Point Of View

We're discussing POV in my fiction class. One thing I found interesting about delving into this confusing subject is the notion of the "implied author."

The Implied Author is NOT the author. That's an important point to remember. In non-fiction, it's okay for the author to intrude upon the audience. In fiction, however, the author should not be visible. The important reason is that the subtext to what's being said, acted, or described, is provided by the implied author. The implied author is the stable, unmoving foundation that an unreliable narrator rests upon. It's okay to have a wacky narrator that you can't believe IF the implied author is stable and consistent.

I think this is where a lot of fiction breaks down. If the implied author isn't consistent in tone and subtext, then the reader falls away from the story. There's nothing for them to hold on to. If the implied author is strong, stable, and consistent, then the reader will follow you much further. Whether they like where they're going or not is another question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home