Write...or Die Trying

I used to work in a factory. Now I work in an office. Either way, my writing was dying. So now I must: Write...or Die Trying.

Google  

Time to Write? What Time?

My kids drive me nuts sometimes. They haven't learned (...yet, but they will) that when the typewriter case is open and they hear mad pecking, then do not bother me. I have a hard enough time concentrating without having to get cups of milk, grab the 18 month-old before she heads out an open door, etc.

It's not just my kids, though. My wife caught herself asking me to do something without even thinking that I was writing. I think she felt bad about asking, too, since I just quit trying after that. I wasn't getting anywhere. Getting to write only part of a sentence at a time isn't very productive.

This problem is somewhat systemic. I used to work at home as a computer programmer; I freelanced, and did sundry contract jobs. Often, the fact that I was sitting in front of the computer wasn't enough to deter the cries for help. Don't think I mind helping out, because I don't. I understand how hard it is to keep everything going in a family as large as ours--and if I'm just sitting there anyway...

Is it a question of validity? I know people tend to not take artistic endeavors seriously, even though I approach my writing with the same professionalism I show towards any job I do. To me, it's just another part-time job. To everyone else it's... To tell you the truth, I don't know what they think it is.

2 Comments:

At 6/09/2004 07:11:00 PM, Blogger Journey said...

Boy do I know what that's like. That's why I started becoming an insomniac/night owl. NO INTERRUPTIONS!

I also found that sleep deprivation does not make you a nice person. So now I drag my son for a very long walk (it's my only exercise time) either right before or after dinner and the wee one goes off to sleep like clockwork.

I know you can have them all hipnotized and conditioned not to disturb you. I know a guy with group rates :o

If you think it's tough now, wait till school starts. I think you, the library staff, and the custodians will all be on a first name basis, like I was.

Hang in there, it does get better.

 
At 6/12/2004 02:57:00 PM, Blogger r said...

It is hard to allow someone to just do something, whether they are writing or taking the motor out of a truck (I think you know from where that comment comes ;). It's the human condition to be needy just at the time it is most inconvenient for others.

I write while kids are watching a movie (if I'm not watching with them) or at night- I prefer night. Our kids are in bed by 8:30 p (little ones that is) and that gives me plenty of time. Kick those little fellars into the sack a little earlier...(stop saying "Yeah right!" You have to make things happen if you want to write!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home