Write...or Die Trying

I used to work in a factory. Now I work in an office. Either way, my writing was dying. So now I must: Write...or Die Trying.

Google  

Back to School

I know, it's a little early to be talking about going back to school. My wife would probably slap me upside the head for even mentioning it. But I'm not talking about my five kids here, I'm talking about me.

Since I got out of the Air Force, I've been wanting to use my G.I. Bill benefits to finish college. I always swore to myself that, once I was back in school, I'd study what I wanted to study, and not use it as leverage for getting a job. Although I work as a computer programmer, that's the last thing I want to study at a University.

Pittsburg State University is where I dropped off my enrollment paperwork today. They've got a much better English Bachelor's program than the school I was taking classes from previously. They have an emphasis in Creative Writing for Fiction that I'll be majoring in.

I didn't know if I'd be excited about going back to school or not. It's going to be a lot of work and hard on the schedule (thankfully, my employer is very willing to help me work around day classes), but I'm starting to get excited about being in an acedemic environment. I know I don't need to finish my degree to become a writer, but I want to learn all I can about being a great writer, not just a mediocre one.

Lord willing, I'll start classes this fall.

1 Comments:

At 6/09/2004 12:14:00 AM, Blogger Journey said...

My 2cents worth: Academia is a good place to get some understanding of the writing process and craft. It's not always an environment that inspires. Keep on blogging though, you'll get there either way. Congrats on the paperwork... one step forward....
- Michele

 

Post a Comment

<< Home