Write...or Die Trying

I used to work in a factory. Now I work in an office. Either way, my writing was dying. So now I must: Write...or Die Trying.

Google  

New Books

We had some time to hit the bookstore last night. I picked up a couple new (old) books:

I'm a little concerned about reading The Glass Bead Game, given its influence over the growth of eastern mysticism in the western hemisphere. That said, I very much enjoyed Hesse's excellent novel Steppenwolf and am finding this book to be in the same vein. Hesse was notoriously introspective, and all his works show an unflinching analysis of the raw, human psyche.

The Glass Bead Game is supposed to be a satirical look at "civilized" society, but westerners, upon discovering Hesse, missed the sarcasm and took him seriously. Keeping this in mind, I hope to not be bothered by Hesse's backdrop of eastern mysticism and be able to appreciate his insight into the mind of Man.

2 Comments:

At 6/20/2004 01:33:00 AM, Blogger r said...

I don't believe you have answered my antiquated question of just where this place is in Lamar?

 
At 6/20/2004 05:36:00 PM, Blogger J. Brisbin said...

These particular books were bought at BAM, but the used bookstore to which you refer is on 15th street in Joplin. It's a nice place. Besides an excellent selection of books, they had the only copy of a Charles Williams novel I have ever seen, new or used, outside of abebooks.com. It's very interesting, but quite bizarre. Right up my alley ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home