Write...or Die Trying

I used to work in a factory. Now I work in an office. Either way, my writing was dying. So now I must: Write...or Die Trying.

Google  

Quote from Joseph Pulitzer

You know how conversations wander from one topic to the next, until you've gone so far from your original topic that the trip there becomes more important than what you were discussing? That happened to me today. I found this quote by Joseph Pulitzer after googling the name "Nellie Bly," which my wife had heard on a show my kids were watching this afternoon:


"Every issue of the paper presents an opportunity and a duty to say something courageous and true; to rise above the mediocre and conventional; to say something that will command the respect of the intelligent, the educated, the independent part of the community; to rise above fear of partisanship and fear of popular prejudice. I would rather have one article a day of this sort; and these ten or twenty lines might readily represent a whole day's hard work in the way of concentrated, intense thinking and revision, polish of style, weighing of words."

Joseph Pulitzer, 1911

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home