Write...or Die Trying

I used to work in a factory. Now I work in an office. Either way, my writing was dying. So now I must: Write...or Die Trying.

Google  

Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian

 
If you listen to the audio book, does that count as having read the book? I hope so, because I'm in the middle of reading/listening to Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian. Although the premise that a couple of quasi-amateur historians are looking for Dracula is a little worn since Stoker's classic, the story is masterfully told with enough modern twists to keep it interesting.

Having nursed a secret desire to one day become a antiquarian and rare book dealer, the amount of mediaeval manuscript research is fascinating to me. Her writing is crisp, clear, and professional. What you'd expect from a Yale graduate with an MFA.

If you are bored with books, the middle ages, or anything relating to Dracula (either the real-life Vlad Tepes or his vampiric alter-ego,) then this long adventure through modern-day Turkey, Romania, Bulgaria, and Hungary might not be all that interesting to you. But if you're like me and love the thought of combing through musty piles of 600 year-old documents, then I would suggest you read The Historian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home